Since the voucher is given to the household, and not to the property itself, tenants are allowed to move while in the program and continue receiving assistance. Once the initial 12-month lease term is over, and as long as they give the appropriate notice, they can request a new voucher in order to move to a new unit of their choice. The request to move may not always be approved and a tenant must be in good standing with both the program and the current lease agreement in order to make this request.

In some cases, a tenant may be allowed to move before the expiration of the initial 12-month lease term. Reasons for this are typically known as a “Mandatory Move” and include the following:

  • To protect the health or safety of the household from domestic, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking
  • Building/unit foreclosure
  • Emergencies such as a fire, flood, etc.
  • Reasonable accommodations for a person with a disability
  • Public housing relocation

If the tenant has decided they would like to move, there are a few things to take into consideration first:

  • Is there a current 12-month lease agreement or are is the tenant on a month-to-month agreement?
  • If there is a current 12-month lease agreement, does the tenant have one of the above mandatory reasons for wanting to move?

If there is a current lease agreement, renters will only be approved to move if they are experiencing one of the reasons under the mandatory move criteria. If this is the case, they will be required to provide verification of the circumstances, such as a police report or doctor’s statement, in order to receive approval.

If the lease is a month-to-month agreement, it is likely the renter can move at any time as long as they give the appropriate amount of notice and are in good standing with the program and the lease.

In all circumstances, in order to move, the tenant will need to request a new voucher from the housing authority and submit the required verification documents.

NOTE: Landlords will continue to be paid both the tenant portion and the HAP for as long as the tenant is a participant in the program and remains in the assisted unit.