Program Moves

Program Moves

While on the program, you are allowed to move, if you wish, and continue receiving assistance. Once your initial 12-month lease term is over, and as long as you give your PHA and your owner or property manager proper notice, you can request a new voucher in order to move to a new unit of your choice. Keep in mind, your request to move may not always be approved. You must be in good standing with the program and your current lease agreement. In some cases, you may be allowed to move before  the expiration of the initial 12 month lease term. Reasons for this are typically known as a mandatory move and include the following:  

  • To protect the health or safety of your family from domestic, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking  
  • Building/unit foreclosure  
  • Emergencies such as a fire, flood, etc.  
  • Reasonable accommodations for a person with a disability 
  • Public housing relocation 
  • Your landlord has served you with a notice to vacate 

If you have decided that you would like to move, there are a few things you will need to take into consideration first: 

  • Is there a current 12-month lease agreement or are you on a month-to-month agreement?
  • If there is a current 12-month lease agreement, do you have one of the above mandatory reasons for wanting to move?

If there is a current lease agreement, you may only be approved to move if you are experiencing one of the mandatory reasons for moving. If this is the case, you will be required to provide verification of the circumstances, such as a police report or doctor’s statement, in order to receive approval.

If you are on a month-to-month agreement, it is likely you can move at any time as long as you give the appropriate amount of notice and are in good standing with the program and your lease.

In all circumstances, in order to move, you will need to request a new voucher from your housing authority and submit the required verification documents.

NOTE: You will continue to pay both your tenant portion for as long as you are a participant in the program and remain in your unit.